August 4 Summary – Go
Led by Kelly Henderson
On Sunday, August 4th , as part of our “Way of Love” summer series, Kelly Henderson helped us explore the sixth practice, “Go: Cross boundaries, listen deeply, and live like Jesus.” From the Way of Love Introduction, “As Jesus went to the highways and byways, he sends us beyond our circles and comfort, to witness to the love, justice, and truth of God with our lips and with our lives. We go to listen with humility and to join God in healing a hurting world. We go to become Beloved Community, a people reconciled in love with God and one another.” If you weren’t there this week, over the next two weeks please fill out one of the “Small Group Participant” sheets for the practice of “Go.” Then transfer your plan for “Go” to the “Writing a Rule of Life Worksheet.”
We began with an opening prayer and Kelly introduced the practice of “Go” and how going “beyond our circles and comfort to witness to the love, justice, and truth of God with our lips and with our lives” allows us to reconcile and become Beloved Community.
Kelly opened by having us center ourselves. She then read Isaiah 42:1-4 and challenged us to replace he/him with our names throughout our work this week. Kelly then shared her work with Becoming Beloved Community and other ways we can “Go.” We then discussed other ways we have practiced “Go” followed by closing in prayer.
Since we ran out of time for more discussion, the following questions from the curriculum can be used in your self-reflection:
- Name a time you experienced reconciliation. What had to happen before the reconciliation could occur? How did that reconciliation change your relationship with others or God?
- Where does reconciliation need to happen in your community? How would reconciliation change your community?
- What would love, justice, and the truth of God look like in your community?
- How could you faithfully discern where reconciliation needs to happen?
- What is one thing you could do this week to heal your world?
- To what new places or communities is the Spirit sending you to witness to the love, justice, and truth of God?
- What needs to change in your own life to make you more open to seeing and engaging with the needs of the world?
Some recommendations for “Go”: Identify a community or culture that is unlike your own and learn about them either by attending an event, reading, or speaking to a friend or acquaintance in that group. You might also take a prayerful walk through a neighborhood or space shaped by a community or culture different from your own. At Trinity some ways you could “Go” are by taking part in Becoming Beloved Community, A Place at the Table, or Greater Cleveland Congregations (GCC). (You also might list a practice you are already engaged in that gives life to you.). The Episcopal Church has compiled more resources on “Bless” on their Way of Love website.
Our next session will be led by Tony Wesley August 18 th at 9 am. He will be focusing on the practice of “Rest: Receive the gift of God’s grace, peace, and restoration.” Thank you for another great turnout this session!