It’s a crucial time for reform in Cuyahoga County. THIS is our greatest opportunity to hold our criminal justice system accountable to real, permanent change. In our op-ed in the Plain Dealer on January 1, we committed to “call on the county prosecutor, those seeking the office, and other key players in Cuyahoga County’s criminal justice system to face 1,000 GCC members.” Both county prosecutor candidates have confirmed their participation in this action. Please save the date for February 16 at 7pm (seated at 6:30) at Anshe Chesed Fairmount Temple, 23737 Fairmount Blvd, Beachwood, OH 44122. [Read more…]
GCC Victory: We Did Not Stand Idly By!
where we were, where we are, and where we are going
Greater Cleveland Congregations: We did it. We moved the president. As a top leader in Metro IAF’s Do Not Stand Idly By campaign, we have helped pressure President Obama to use his executive power to act to reduce gun violence in our country.
On Tuesday, Jan. 12 at 7:30 p.m. at Fairmount Presbyterian Church (2757 Fairmount Blvd, Cleveland Heights, OH 44118), come celebrate GCC’s great work in this campaign around smart gun technology, and use the momentum to push our strategy around “bad apple” gun stores in Cuyahoga County. [Read more…]
Greater Cleveland Congregations Education Team will meet on Tuesday, Dec. 8 at 6:30 p.m. at Elizabeth Baptist Church, 6114 Francis Ave. If your congregation is wrestling with how to engage or deepen your relationship with a school, come strategize with GCC to rethink your role and our plan.
In order to achieve our goals of quality education for all children – in CMSD and other districts, we need core teams in congregations who are willing to deepen relationships in schools. There is much more we can do, beyond donations and tutoring, to become allies of parents. [Read more…]
Greater Cleveland Congregations has several upcoming events:
Thursday, Oct. 8 – 7 p.m. at Trinity Cathedral with a Money Training with Bob Connolly, an IAF organizer and professional congregational fundraiser. This training will not only help us understand how organized money is power, but give us tools to confidently raise money–for GCC, our congregations, and any other organizations.
Thursday, Oct. 15 – 6:30 p.m. at Olivet Institutional Baptist Church The Criminal Justice Team will meet and discuss updates on the County Prosecutor strategy, approaches to engage the Police Commission, and the recent Gun Violence as it relates to our Criminal Justice work.
Pastries at 9 a.m.
Sunday, Aug. 23
The Trinity Greater Cleveland Congregations Core Team will host a listening session Aug. 23 to hear general thoughts about “why I’m no longer actively involved with GCC.” Target audience is those once associated with GCC when it was organized in 2011, newcomers and potential future supporters.
Stop by for coffee, juice and pastry and share your thoughts!
Questions? Please contact any of the following Trinity members:
All eyes are on Greater Cleveland Congregations after a hugely successful action on May 26. With more than 600 people in attendance, we made waves on local and national news outlets. We will come together as GCC on June 25th at 7 pm at St. John AME, 2261 E 40th, Cleveland in order to do a few things:
- Respond to and evaluate the May 26 Action
- Teach and clarify our Next Steps regarding our demands to the Mayor and Prosecutor
- Review the Consent Decree and it’s inclusion of GCC recommendations
- Look ahead to upcoming possible actions, such as the Tamir Rice verdict
Other upcoming meetings include:
- July 16, 7 p.m. Location TBD
Criminal Justice Action Meeting
- July 19, 3-8 p.m. Forest Hill Presbyterian Church
Core Team Training
- July 23, 7 p.m. Location TBD
To learn more about the Trinity GCC team, contact Yvonne Conner.
On Tuesday, May 26, Greater Cleveland Congregations held a public action in downtown Cleveland with the theme: “Greater Cleveland Unite: We Can’t Wait!” The effort is another by GCC to call for long-term, county wide, criminal justice reform. Click here for a list of media coverage from the event.
Trinity GCC Core Team Meeting Sunday, May 17 at 12:45 p.m. – Attend the meeting to learn more about the action below or contact Yvonne Conner.
GCC, we are engaged in the long-term fight for Criminal Justice Reform. As the largest broad-based community organizing group in Northeast Ohio, we have the power to transform the criminal justice system in our city and suburbs and throughout Cuyahoga County. [Read more…]
In February, Greater Cleveland Congregations held a successful 1,000-person Public Action and 3-day IAF training for new GCC leaders. In March, GCC will focus on continuing its work in criminal justice, building relationships and engaging in schools. Please mark your calenders for these upcoming meetings. [Read more…]
Trinity Greater Cleveland Congregations Core Team
Sunday, March 1 12:45 p.m.
At this meeting we will discuss:
- GCC University – the 2.5 day training session hosted at Trinity Feb. 15-17. There were about 30-35 individuals in this session. I was the only representative from Trinity. I found it a very helpful venue to hear about the GCC philosophy and historical footprint. It would be good to hear from others who have attended earlier sessions of this training; would like to compare notes.
- What is a Core Team – there are about three active local GCC core teams. Being one of the three, we can play a role in shaping how the team functions as a listeners and intrepreters of community needs around issues of justice and the suggested role of our congregation.
- Local team member activities – we look forward to hearing an update from those who will have participated in local GCC meetings (Education, Criminal Justice) on behalf of the Trinity GCC Core Team .
To learn more about Trinity’s GCC team, stop by the meeting or contact Yvonne Conner.