Architect Charles F. Schweinfurth began plans for Trinity Cathedral in 1890. These plans eventually evolved to the present English Perpendicular Gothic structure, which was built between 1901-07. The Cathedral was consecrated on September 24, 1907.
Trinity Cathedral is cruciform in plan, with a square central tower rising above the crossing. The exterior is of Indiana limestone, and the interior is finished in vitrified brick, stone, and dark oak. An ambulatory connects the Cathedral to the original 1895 parish house, which included Cathedral Hall.
Trinity Commons was created in the 2002 environmentally-friendly renovation of Trinity Cathedral and the offices of the Episcopal Diocese of Ohio. The Commons is a home for mission and ministry in downtown Cleveland, including meeting rooms and conference facilities, an art gallery, Cathedral and Diocesan Offices, and Café Ah-Roma.
Trinity Commons has received awards and acclaim from people concerned with urban revitalization, sustainable building practices, and historical preservation. We were honored that the project won the Cleveland Engineering Society’s Excellence in Renovation Award and was a finalist for the Northern Ohio Live Award of Achievement in neighborhood revitalization.